Looking to put in a wood stove

Old 07-12-04, 06:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking to put in a wood stove

Hello,

I have an open fireplace that I would like to replace with a wood stove. Any recommendations on brands or a site which features the different types? I'm looking to burn just wood, not coal, during the cold winter months in upstate New York!

Thanks!

Old 07-19-04, 07:24 PM
Sonny120
Visiting Guest
Wood Stove installation in Fireplace

Hi,

I'm investigating the same type of installation that you have described. I found a site that has a lot of general information about wood stove heating. It doesn't address manufacturers, but it has some interesting reading. It is www.woodheat.org

There is, however, an Internet site of a retailer in lower New York State that you might find useful. It is "www.homeandhearth-mainst.com". It displays a number of manufacturer's stoves and you can link to the individual web sites for further info.

As an aside, I was originally "hot to trot" on a stove with a catalytic converter, but I did a 180 degree turn after reading about them and talking to my local retailer. It sounded like too much work with additional costs every two to three years to replace the converter.

Just a couple of tips in case you have not considered them - 1. Contact your homeowner's insurance company and ask if they require an inspection or if a wood stove installation will affect your premiums; 2. Contact your local building inspector and ask if a building permit is required.

Since I'm in the initial stages of deciding how I should proceed, I would appreciate any info that you might share with me.

Regards,
Sonny120

Old 07-19-04, 08:09 PM
Sonny120
Visiting Guest
No Solicitation

By the way, I am not soliciting for and have no interest whatsoever in the retailer with the web site "www.homeandhearth-mainst.com".

Sonny120

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: