Stuck Log Lighter Pipe

Old 10-11-04, 10:23 PM
dhmorrow
Visiting Guest
Stuck Log Lighter Pipe

I am trying to change out the log lighter pipe in my fireplace. There is the gas pipe from the wall, the extension sleeve (forget what it's called) and the log lighter (or burner pipe, etc.). The problem is that I cannot get this darn pipe unscrewed for the life of me. Can anyone suggest some methods of freeing this pipe while still maintaining the integrity of the inital gas pipe? I have tried some WD-40 type of stuff, but I really am not sure what to do from there.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Daniel

Old 10-12-04, 05:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Daniel

The pipe part between the log lighter tube and the natural gas supply pipe is likely to be a pipe coupling. Which may be one that has both clockwise and counter clockwise threads. Different threads in boths ends.

This type of coupling, when turned onto a pipe, also tightens onto both pipes screwed into it. Thus turning it clock wise is all that is needed to tighten both pipes together. Try turning the coupling in the opposite (counter) direction. May or may not work, worth a try.

WD 40 will not work well on severely rusted, corroded and highly heated iron pipe found in fireplaces as well as liquid wrench. Use liquid wrench per instructions and be patient.

Allow plenty of time for it to work. Tapping on pipe parts where it is applied often. Use plenty and often. Likely take several applications over aperiod of time.

Use a backup pipe wrench on the supply pipe (to hold it in place) while turning the coupling. Do not attempt to turn the log lighter tube out of the coupling. Turn coupling off the iron or steel gas supply pipe.

Run into this problem myself over the prior years. Never found one that could not be removed as described above. Many where difficult but each done as above and removed without damage turning the coupling off the gas pipe.

Once coupling removal is accomplished, wire brush supply pipe threads to remove rust, etc. Than use pipe thread compound on supply pipe threads or any type of oil before installing new coupling. Apply to new log lighter threads also. Do not over tighten parts on new installations.

Old 10-12-04, 10:44 AM
dhmorrow
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much! I am going to try that today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: