Fitting new chimney flashing

Old 10-30-04, 09:59 AM
C
cruiser
Visiting Guest
Smile Fitting new chimney flashing

Hi,

I need to replace some old flashing on a chimney. The house is a terraced house with a slate roof. What do i use to attach the flashing to the chimney? Am i better off placing the horizontal of the 'L' under the slates or on top of them,ive seen conflicting views on this.

Thanks folks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-04, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Am i better off placing the horizontal of the 'L' under the slates or on top of them,ive seen conflicting views on this.
In the trade they are called step shingles. Most of the time they are out of 5"X7".With 3" down and 2" up. You start at the bottom and work up .They for sure go under each shingle. This way water will run off one slate down to the next. you will have a 2" line then going up along the chimney because they will or should over lap the one down below it. Then over this is the counter flashing that covers them but not down to the roof. This you seal and nail with a pk nail or what ever to fix it to the chimney.Put roof cement on the back side. Or like old cut it to like match the steps and mortar it in the brick there.

I think if you go to home depot or Lowes look at the paper on the roof shingles. Most of the time it will show you how to do this.Its the same for the slate shingles. Sounds like you should use copper up there.

ED

Old 12-27-04, 05:40 PM
C
cclshome
Visiting Guest
Question PK Nail

Ed, what is a 'pk nail'? Thanks.