Chimney clean

Old 11-07-04, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Chimney clean

We bought the house about 4 years ago and have not used the fire place yet. What I would like to know is. Does the fire logs that you can buy to clean the chimney really work? If so how can I tell if I can light a fire for the first time? The house was built in 1979.

Thanks
Don

Old 11-07-04, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Thumbs down Yes and no but mostly no.

Don,

The advertising for chimney cleaning firelogs is somewhat misleading.
The chemical that is in the logs will loosen creosote in a chimney but mechanical cleaning and regular visual inspection is still required.
Also, the purchase of these logs is a complete waste of money if you consider that you can purchase the active ingredient that is in these logs for just a few cents per application that you just sprinkle on a burning fire.

So, in your situation, if you have not yet used your wood burner I would at least for the first time, hire a professional chimney sweep to both clean and give you a written condition report on your chimney.
Often your homeowner's insurance policy requires you to perform regular maintenance and a written report from a pro would satisfy this requirement and give you peace of mind.

Chimney cleaning product: http://www.doityourself.com/store/8589004.htm
Article: http://www.csia.org/homeowners/ChimneyCleaningLogs.htm

Old 11-10-04, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Greg is the pro here, but if you want just an old country boy answer on "how to tell if you can use a fireplace" before getting it cleaned and inspected by a professional chimney sweep...look up the flue(s) with a flashlight.
If you can mostly see the the color of the flue liner, it's O.K. to use the fireplace. If it's covered with black creosote, even thinly, have it cleaned and inspected before using it.
Coincidentally, I just did that yesterday with my three chimneys, and I determined that I don't need to have them cleaned and inspected yet, but can go ahead an use them.
A pro cleaning and inspection should be done annually for safety.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: