Smokey Basement

Old 11-20-04, 03:02 PM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
Smokey Basement

Hi,
I have recently moved into my first house.
It has a fireplace.
However, everytime i light a fire, even when the fire is roaring my basement smells a little smokey. Does anyone know why this could be? Should i be concerned?

thanks
Andy

Old 11-20-04, 03:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Where is the fireplace?
Is it located on the first floor or the basement?
I would be checking the chimney for cracks/leaks that may be allowing smoke to enter the house. If there are cracks in your chimney they need to be addressed. There could be a crack allowing the smoke to enter through a basement window.
Post back with your findings as others may learn from your situation.

Old 11-20-04, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
One possibility is that you do not have enough draft which could be caused by an improperly sized chimney or perhaps not enough air is entering the room.
Try opening a window a small amount in the same room as the fireplace to see if the problem goes away.

You can check for an obstruction in the chimney, but if you are unfamiliar with wood burning it would be a wise investment to hire a qualified chimney sweep to clean and inspect your chimney.

Old 11-20-04, 05:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Do you have a ash pit drop with a clean out for it . That goes down in the basement and has a door down there to clean it out. Like GregH said when you crack a window by the fireplace does it go away?

ED

Old 11-20-04, 05:48 PM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys

So the fireplace is on the first floor. I have had a chimney sweep inspect and sweep the flue. I also have a clean out pit that is emptied in the basement. However i never sweep anything into it. But i guess smoke could enter it right?

I will open the window next to the fireplace next time i light the fire and see if i still get the same problem.

cheers
andy

Old 11-20-04, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Is this a new house or pre-owned?

If the open window doesn't slve the problem and the chimney is clear, draft can be increased by making the chimney higher.

Old 12-13-04, 05:55 PM
riggott
Visiting Guest
Red face smokey basement

Andy,

Most likely your water heater vents up the same chimney and comes out right next to the fireplace stack. When you have a fire burning it will often create a vacuum in your house from the draw up the chimney and because this air exiting the house must be replaced, air will enter the house via the area of least resistence. If your water heater is not heating, and therefor not exhausting, a downdraft can be created and smokey air will be drawn into the house through the exhaust vent. The next time you have this problem, go down to your water heater and place your hand next to the exhaust pipe at the top of your water heater. If you feel cold air and it smells like smoke you will know if this is your problem.

Solution: Buy a "forced-vent" water heater like we did ($1100 installed) so the vent up the chimey is no longer being used. Or, crack open a window while the fire is burning to provide replacement air.

Last edited by riggott; 12-19-04 at 07:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: