burning aluminum cans to clean flue

Old 12-17-04, 06:57 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
burning aluminum cans to clean flue

Is there any benifit in burning aluminum cans in a fireplace to clean deposits from the chimminy?

Fla Printer

Old 12-17-04, 07:21 AM
Thats one I haven't heard of. I have read that throwing a handful of salt on the logs while they are burning will clean it. Myself, It's not worth finding out the hard way that it didn't work. I always burn only hardwoods that I know are seasoned. Lessens the cause of buildup. I also have my chimney inspected after a heavy year of usage or every other year if I don't use it a whole lot. Good luck.

Old 12-17-04, 07:24 AM
Wink

new one on me. Never heard of that. There is what is called "Chimney Sweep" that works very good to help keep the flue clean. Get some and try it. Works good on the soot and the creosote.

ED

Old 12-17-04, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
i used potatoes peel in the fire Works good on the soot and the creosote

cheers

pg

Old 12-20-04, 06:09 AM
S
There are so many products on the market for the specific purpose of cleaning chimneys and removing soot etc that fooling around with "old wives tales" remedies is not worth it.Chimney Sweep was mentioned and is a fine product assuming it's still on the market.I haven't seen it in a few years.That said there are many other simular products in forms ranging from powders to preformed logs.I can't remember all the brand names and some of the products are regionally distributed.Go into any REAL hardware store and talk to the sales help.It's almost certain they'll carry one or more products for this that are fool proof.

Old 12-20-04, 08:50 AM
F
burning aluminum cans in fireplace

My thanks to all who replied. My brother in Indiana swears by this method of cleaning his chimney.
I burn only oak here in North Fla. Maybe I'll try a can or two.

Fla. Printer

Old 12-20-04, 10:59 PM
A
Originally Posted by FLA. Printer
My thanks to all who replied. My brother in Indiana swears by this method of cleaning his chimney.
I burn only oak here in North Fla. Maybe I'll try a can or two.

Fla. Printer
I lived in the Northeast for 20 years. One of my managers told me about burning aluminum cans. We always burn aged hardwoods, and used to have our chimney cleaned every year.

After burning the cans, (one or two every ten or so fires), we skipped a year on the chimney cleaning. Our chimney sweep said he could not tell a difference between in our chimney between cleaning it every year or every other year. "honest guy"!!

The only guidance I can offer is have very hot fire, with lots of hardwood coals to burn the cans. If they just sit there and discolor, they are not doing much. They will burn, totally in about 5 minutes if the fire is hot enough.

Old 01-04-05, 10:25 AM
farmall
Visiting Guest
Perhaps the trick is burning a fire that is hot enough to burn aluminum.

Old 01-04-05, 12:20 PM
Wink

Perhaps the trick is burning a fire that is hot enough to burn aluminum
This could be why I have ran into many dampers up in the fireplace that dont close all the way. So many people build to big a fire in the fire place and get it to hot.

ED

Old 01-29-10, 05:56 AM
D
burning cans is how I keep my chimney clean!

I burn cans on a reguler basis and use between 3 and 4 cords per season. Belive it or not we have even used fresh cut green wood a few times when we run out! I toss in a couple of cans during burns and do so often! in 20 years I have never cleaned the chimney! I remove about a 5 gallon pail of dried cresote from the base cleanout every fall! That simple!!!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-29-10 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Phone number removed.
Old 03-18-13, 10:55 PM
T
Yes absolutely. I burned a couple cans every few days ( no set schedule just when I thought about it) for 5 years I climbed and inspected my chimney each fall prior to firewood season and never had anything more than a light dust on the walls. And it makes sense if you google alum and read its properties one of them is that it is an amazing drying agent. And that's what you need to do is get the resin to dry up and blow away with the smoke.

Old 03-19-13, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Towerman, welcome to the forums! You are responding to a 9 year old thread, so it may fall on deaf ears.

Old 03-19-13, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Larry, I ain't completely deaf

While I've heard of burning aluminum cans and even if it works well there is no substitute to cleaning the flue with a brush. I usually clean my chimney several times throughout the winter.

Old 03-19-13, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hey, I've never heard of it, so I read the entire thread to educate this redneck brain a little. I just would be afraid of releasing aluminum oxide in the atmosphere, but I guess in small quantities it wouldn't be harmful. It sure will take a hot fire, though. I like the cleaning thingy every year or so, too. Feels warm and fuzzy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: