Need help with firebricks

Old 12-19-04, 08:00 AM
LycanR
Visiting Guest
Need help with firebricks

My fireplace has sustained some water damage over the years. I've bought and installed chimney caps. The chimney itself is in good order, but the fireplace (the firebricks specifically) itself is in poor shape. I have a number of loose firebricks and the mortar is powdering out. My question is that I bought some tubes of GE "High-Heat Mortar". I was intending on cleaning the joints and using this mortar to seal. Using a torch, I'd heat the joints to the recommended 1200 F for a final cure. It was suggested (by a non-professional) that this mortar may not be intended for structure and since my bricks are loose, I should consider hiring a professional or maybe even installing an insert. Is this product intended to be used to secure loose firebricks? Also, is the torch a good idea for firing the mortar once it's set? I don't think an actual fire in the fireplace could achieve this heat.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I would agree that the tube mortar would not be for structural use. It really should say on the tube. It's probably to fill in where mortar has fallen out without effecting the integrity of the brick. They sell firebrick mortar that you mix, just like for regular brick. Probably have to call a concrete place. This is not something that you want to wonder about. Do it the safest way possible. Good luck.

Old 12-19-04, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Might try around there and ask for a Thinset for the fire brick. If you look you dont see much so called mortar in the fire brick as they should be layed with just the thinset between them as thin as you can get it. Like dragon dont know anything about that GE heat mortar.

ED