Line a chimney?

Old 12-21-04, 07:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Line a chimney?

Hi all,

I'll make a long story short. Boiler died yesterday on the coldest day of the year. Tech came out, and soot had built up so badly that the thing basically choked. It was vented to the chimney in the basement. When pulled apart, he noticed that the chimney is NOT lined at all. There's signs of carbon monoxide on the exterior chimney walls IN my house. Not good.

It needs to be lined. I'm looking at a $5,000 job for a new boiler and a chimney lining. I would rather not pay that, just do it all myself. Now, I could install the boiler, but I don't really know how to line a chimney.

It's a 1910 house. Chimney is straight up vertical, brick. Is lining a chimney a DIY job, or do I need a pro? Is it hard? If I can do it and save money, what exactly do I need, and what are the steps.

In the basement, there is the boiler, and on the opposing side is a water heater, both natural gas appliances.

My thinking.

Lining shouldn't be too hard. Do I just get a whole mess of aluminum vent piping, tape it all together, and shove it down from the roof? Once taken to basement level, how do I tie in the appliances and make sure it's properly sealed down there so that no gases leak into the chimney, but rather EVERYTHING goes up the new flue?

Need help, guys. I got a 40 degree house...

Chris

Old 12-21-04, 09:28 PM
R
you need a special material to use you can purchase from a homedepot or a sheetmetal company. you can install this yourself if you need direction please write back

Old 12-22-04, 06:39 AM
Thanks,

I have a local HVAC guy who's now going to do it cheap as a Christmas present for me. He's saving my butt. Damn nice guy.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: