Air leaking in between wood fireplace and stone surround

Old 12-26-04, 01:13 PM
dizzynej
Visiting Guest
Question Air leaking in between wood fireplace and stone surround

The house I own was built in 1979. The fireplace is in the basement and it's very, very, very cold down there. I have narrowed the problem down to a 1/2 - 3/4 inch gap on one side of my fireplace between the black box that makes up the wood burning fireplace and the morter/stone that makes up the pretty outside that surrounds the fireplace opening. The top and the opposite side both have some sort of insulation I can see, but this side that is drafty I can't see any. Is there a special kind of fire proof insulation I could buy and stuff in this opening and still safely use my fireplace? Or do I need to have someone come and check this out - and if so who/what service would I need to call?
Any help would be appreciated since I've never owned a house with a fireplace before. Thank you.

Old 12-27-04, 01:33 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation used around fireplaces,wood stoves etc is usually fiberglass.I suspect what you see wedged in on the other sides is made of fiberglass.You can try pushing in fiberglass insulation such as pipe wrap or simular but make certain there is no paper,plastic or any other material attached to it or a part of it in any way.I am curious as to why no insulation was inserted but also think maybe it was and was removed at a later point possibly because it became damaged or discolored.This brings up the possibility of heat,fire or smoke leakage which you might bear in mind.Another possible product you could use,though less easily applied and possibly not realistic in this situation,is what is known as Furnace Cement or Furnace Mortar.Various forms of this come premixed in tubs and caulking tubes as well as powdered including the real thing...firebrick mortar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: