fireplace in new construction...question

Old 02-21-05, 01:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fireplace in new construction...question

All,

Getting ready to build my own home. I designed the plan myself, and never having a fireplace I have a question. I can't make my mind up if I want a fireplace where the chimney is outside the home(a brick/sided chimney on the outside) or a fireplace that's all inside the home where the chimney is just run up thru the cieling of the home and out thru the roof. I will be purchasing a woodburning type fireplace(NOT gas operated )which leads me to another question. What are some good brands, and what things should I look for? I've been searching around on the net and there are so many options its unbelievable. Would appreciate any ideas....Thanks

Ron

Old 02-22-05, 01:08 PM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
Well, I am not a fireplace guru by any means. I'm in the same situation, about to build a house and looking for chimney advice. I have several questions about fireplaces. I recently visited a chimney expert in the area. He has won awards for his brick laying and chimney design. After he told me this, he encouraged me to build an interior chimney. (Class A I think he said.) Double lined pipe, etc. I was sorta let down that he didn't want to show off his award winning brick skills on the outside of my really cool house. Why would an interior chimney be so much better?
Now to what I do know. If you're planning on getting much heat out of the deal, I'd suggest a stove seated on a harth as opposed to a fireplace in the wall. They radiate better. My parents have a Jotul that looks nice and heats well. nicetotalktoyouthankyousomucho

Last edited by SKSuser; 02-22-05 at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgotten information
Old 02-23-05, 06:30 PM
B
Originally Posted by STUB
All,

Getting ready to build my own home. I designed the plan myself, and never having a fireplace I have a question. I can't make my mind up if I want a fireplace where the chimney is outside the home(a brick/sided chimney on the outside) or a fireplace that's all inside the home where the chimney is just run up thru the cieling of the home and out thru the roof. I will be purchasing a woodburning type fireplace(NOT gas operated )which leads me to another question. What are some good brands, and what things should I look for? I've been searching around on the net and there are so many options its unbelievable. Would appreciate any ideas....Thanks

Ron
Tough question to answer in detail. But perhaps any decision now should be in consideration to re-sell value. Food for thought!

BB

Old 02-24-05, 05:10 AM
S
Not sure I understand what your saying about re-sale. It's gonna have a fireplace no matter what.......could you clarify?

ron

Old 02-24-05, 08:16 AM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
I'm sure like anything there are die hard masonry chimney people and die hard double lined flue sticking out through roof people. My future father in law happens to be the latter, and I don't really think the advantages that he's proposed outweigh my concerns about fire safety and being able to show off, inspect, clean, access and otherwise have the chimney handily displayed on the outside of the house. Certain types of chimneys are going to improve the curb appeal of a house, IE the first impression. I know I'd rather see a beautiful stack going up the outside of a house. I enjoy it so much I'd probably pay more for a house that had that feature. The fact that an outside chimney is, I assume, more expensive increases the appraisal value of a home too. If you try to resell your home, you'll get more for it one way or the other... but it would seem that people are reluctant to commit to one way or the other being "better."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: