chimney refacing?

Old 04-07-05, 11:41 AM
M
mikecz
Visiting Guest
Unhappy chimney refacing?

had my roof redone 4 years ago , roof is now leaking company closed doors 3 years ago and owner died last year. the bricks on the chimney are pretty corroded in alot of spots so i think that might be the problem.
i would like to know if i can and how about to refacing a chimney.

PLEASE PLEASE need your help this is my first home and lost my job in
november, i have to do it myself.
thankyou
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 02:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 or 2 story, chimney on gable end or eave end?

Old 04-08-05, 02:53 PM
M
mikecz
Visiting Guest
chimney refacing

i have a semi detached , when i walk in i have a landing then either i go upstairs to 1 floor or downstairs to playroom.

i believe chimney is on gable side , kind of sharing chimney with people next door 1 wide chimney with 2 stacks.half on there side half on mine.

hope this answers your question.
mike

Old 04-08-05, 03:41 PM
C
If the roof is leaking, the first thing to do is to locate the source of the leak. Look in the attic to see if there has been enough of a leak to create a darkened track across or along the rafters or decking of the roof. Many times water will enter an attic, run along the decking or rafters for a distance, then drip off onto the insulation or other surface to create the problem in the ceiling that is seen from below. The wet place on the ceiling may well not be below the entry point of the water. Even if the leak is around the chimney, knowing exactly the origin of the leak will be the first step in repairing the leak.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-05, 05:23 PM
M
mikecz
Visiting Guest
chimney refacing

i'll have to get someone on the roof with a hose so i can see where it's coming from , while i'm in the attic.

would feel better if i would win the lottery.

Old 04-10-05, 06:56 PM
S
Originally Posted by mikecz
would feel better if i would win the lottery.
As would you uncle snoony and your cousin chfite

Usually these kinds of leak originate in the area of the counter flashings.Look for severly rusted, deteriorated mastic and seperations from the fireplace itself.

Old 04-11-05, 10:16 AM
M
mikecz
Visiting Guest
chimney refacing

i've used a gallon of liquid tar to cover the seams and the ends and around the chimney and it still leaked.?
will have to go in attic and have someone take the hose to the roof around the seams and chimney see where its coming from. dread going in attic, it made for people who are 3 feet tall , i have to crawl around. not lookinf forward to it.that or wait for another rain fall.getting discouraged.

neighbors side
____________________________ ___________________________________
____________________________| |__________________________________

my side

Old 04-11-05, 10:42 AM
Wink

You dont say anything about the top of the chimney here.Lots of times you will find that the cap up there on the chimney is bad and this is what lets water in. Check it out.This is why I like to make the cap there on top have about 1 1/2" over hang all around the chimney to help get the water off the chimney and not run down it. You use a very rich cement mix and slope it down from the flue tile
The rain water will come down in a chimney and leak in the home by what they call hydrostatic pressure.

my .02 cents

ED

Old 04-12-05, 03:25 AM
M
mikecz
Visiting Guest
chimney refacing

i have a new cap on it, plus i spreaded liquid tar all over the top of the chimney.
thankyou