Question on chimney re-pointing

Old 05-07-05, 04:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on chimney re-pointing

I have a very small amount of water coming down the side of the chimney in my attic crawlspace. I sealed all the flashing, but that didn't solve the problem. My next plan of attack is to re-point the chimney and put aluminum caps on both flues. I have never re-pointed a chimney and am looking for some insight on how to go about it properly. I've read I should use Type N mortar (is there a difference between mortar and concrete?) I noticed on my chimney there was never really much of a point to begin with- shouldn't the entire top around the flues be covered with mortar/cement? Also, do I really have to buy one of the big 70 pound bags just to do this job, or are there places I can get a smaller amount? Below is a link to a picture of my chimney. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.northwoodsdigital.tv/images/P1010732.JPG

Old 05-07-05, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Might get by .If you put a new cap on top of the chimney. Very rich mix of sand and cement and slope down from the flue tile. Has to cover the whole top there. Sounds like that is what you need first.

ED

Old 05-08-05, 04:46 PM
T
Is there a difference between mortar and concrete? Do I really have to buy one of the big 70 pound bags just to do this job, or are there places I can get a smaller amount?

Old 05-08-05, 06:33 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Repointing a chimney does not require a great deal of mortar. QUIKRETE Mortar Mix or Mason Mix is available in bags conveniently sized to provide just enough mortar for the job. QUIKRETE Vinyl Concrete Patcher can be used instead for better adhesion.

Definitions: (www.dictionary.com)

Mortar: Any of various bonding materials used in masonry, surfacing, and plastering, especially a plastic mixture of cement or lime, sand, and water that hardens in place and is used to bind together bricks or stones.

Cement: A building material made by grinding calcined limestone and clay to a fine powder, which can be mixed with water and poured to set as a solid mass or used as an ingredient in making mortar or concrete. Also, called Portland Cement or Concrete.

Concrete: A hard, strong construction material consisting of sand, conglomerate gravel, pebbles, broken stone, or slag in a mortar or cement matrix.

Old 05-09-05, 04:55 PM
T
Ok, I'll give that a try- thanks!!!!!!

Old 06-10-05, 10:22 AM
D
top of chimney (CAP)

I have somewhat the same problem, and i have looked for and found a really good replacement for the "normal" concrete chimney cap ... there is a guy by the name of Pixley that does chimney repair. He had a site at the MN state fair and i got a flyer from him. looking at his flyer I can see how really bad my chimney top is . I plan to change mine to the design he recomends.. email me if youi would like the info ... it would be more work .. but according to Pixley .. will last a hundred years!! dddon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: