Removing paint from a fireplace

Old 12-14-99, 03:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to remove a thick layer of white paint off of a red brick fireplace? We have already tried a gel like stripper that removed a fair amount of it, but now we are left with spots of paint. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-15-99, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hello: diy'er

You said a thick layer of white paint.
I am wondering what type of paint?

My guess would be some type of epoxy or rubberized coating designed strickly for that purpose.

Some suggestions:

Ask at a local retail fireplace store and the local hardware store what types of paint are normally used for this purpose and what is used to remove it.

Next, search online in the home improvements selections. Try fireplaces and several variations in the topic area.

Another place may be in the local paint and/or hardware stores. <I wouldn't reccomend the national chain stores however.> Try asking in the privately owned stores in your town.

Yet another idea, ask a building contractor what they would use. Post your question in another area on this site where Jack the Contractor will get it. Maybe he can help you better then I.

All the above fails:

Apply yet another coat of remover.
Try sand paper.
Sand blast it.
Incorporate the left on spots into a custom design pattern.

How about this:
Have a beer and forget about it till next year...hahaha

Happy Holidays
Good Luck
TomBartco
TomBartco@doityourself.com

Old 11-25-04, 06:54 PM
sammyt
Visiting Guest
Instead of Removing the Paint - Paint over it with Brick-Anew

One thought is that instead of trying to remove the paint which is virtually impossible. You may want to paint over it with a fireplace brick paint called Brick-Anew. It is the most realistic solution I have come across. You get the realistic look of brick in a light updated color. I know they sell via the web at Brick-Anew
Hope this helps.

SAM

Old 11-26-04, 07:25 PM
megann
Visiting Guest
removing paint...or arts-and-crafts-style copper cladding

I just moved into a house where not only the 'rough brick' fireplace but the inside of the fireplace is painted off-white. An earlier thread mentioned walnut-shell-blasting - do you know where such a system could be found or if a sand-blaster can be rented and blasting material purchased somewhere?

It's not clear whether the paint is oil or acrylic, but I would guess acrylic, which means that if I light a fire, even with the updraft, there might be some noxious fumes from the acrylic burning. So at least I want to try blast cleaning the inside.

And if removing the paint from the rough brick is a lost cause, do you know if/how I can clad the fireplace in copper to create an arts-and-crafts style (early 1900's, Gustav Stickley) fireplace surround?

megann

Old 11-26-04, 08:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Megann,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Sandblasters can be rented at your local TOOL RENTAL(not like Home Depot).Rather one that rents tools only.May be listed as construction equipment rental in the phone book. Sandblasters use both sand and/or the walnut shells you refered to. Walnut shells are used on steel equipment as they won't cause pitting. Either will remove the paint from your fireplace. Be fore warned. This is a VERY MESSY job and all safety equipment should be utilized(gloves, long sleeves, hood,etc..). Make sure all areas surrounding the fireplace are covered with plastic and that the fireplace its self is enclosed in plastic.The only opening in the plastic surround is to work in. Better yet is to surround yourself within the fireplace area.

A few questions before going through all this work and mess. Has the fireplace been inspected? Is it even safe to use? Was it painted as a decoration as it was not safe to use?

As far as the copper surround goes. You would probably have to have one professionally fabricated at a sheet metal shop.

Good luck and post back using the reply button if you have further questions on this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: