putting a fire place in the basement

Old 12-07-99, 09:15 AM
Visiting Guest
I would like some idea's on how to put a fireplace in the basement and what would be the best kind. Thankyou

Old 12-07-99, 03:50 PM
Visiting Guest
The easiest would be a ventless gas fireplace. Next easiest would be a direct vent stove or gas fireplace. Direct vents would vent out the side of the house. You would not need a flue extending to the roof.

Old 12-22-99, 11:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hello Gordon:

You already have a few good suggestions in the prior posting and most likely a few best ideas of what you would like to install already. I would like to add a few thoughts for your consideration here.

If you have a true basement in the sense that's it is totally below grade, best thought is to check with the building department in your city.

This is based on the thought that your going to be installing this yourself because you didn't say who was going to be installing it.

If your planning to have a licensed contractor do it, get with several for ideas. This will also insure what you do install will be to code and safe.

If this basement is partially below grade, I would believe you have multiple choices. However, whatever you do finally install, be sure it is installed or built to code by a licensed contractor/installer.

The possiblity of fire and carbon monoixide hazards are the two most important considerations. Building codes, fire regulations and insurance rules all vary by state and city depending on your location.

Whichever you decide to install, enjoy it in safety, good health and peace of mind.

Regards,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: