Tearing Down a Brick Fireplace?

Old 01-15-00, 05:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a brick Chimney in a bi-level house. The house is 2 stories, built on a slope and is of conventional construction. The brick chimney has 3 separate openings within the house; a fireplace and kitchen BBQ (both upstairs on the main level) and a separate fireplace downstairs. Unfortunately, the position of the chimney provides a barrier for the expansion of thevery small kitchen. What do I do, tear it down? If so, how?

Old 01-15-00, 07:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

jk, you're talking about a MAJOR (and expensive)job. I would, if possible, build around the fireplace base, with openings on either side to the expanded space.

Old 01-15-00, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Only you can make the choice of to demo or not. But first, have you considered moving an interior wall or two or making a pass through (to the dining room?), to leave the impression of more room, and any other options that you might think of? If demo is the only way, the tools are simple ones, the work is hard, and the mess is large.

It's a good idea to seal the fireboxes with 3/4 plywood and caulking (bolting them in place) before beginning. That helps to keep some of the dust from spreading throughout the house. 3/4 plywood around the chimney in an attic with exposed joists will keep bricks and mortar from making holes in the ceiling. 3/4 plywood on the floors protects the floors to some degree. If there are nearby windows board them up.

The three main tools are sledge hammer, large prybar, saw zaw (preferably a diamond grinder). A small hydraulic ram or jack is sometimes useful in confined areas for shearing the brick and mortar from inside the chimney.

Start at the top and work your way down.
Loosen a few brick and remove them. Every couple of feet, remove the flue(s) and reinforcing steel. Just think about things before hand (like a brick hitting the neighbors new car, patching the roof, ect.).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: