Smoke in 2nd flue

Old 01-21-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently purchased a split level home with two fireplaces, one upstairs with a insert and a built in fan. The second fireplace is downstairs and does not have a insert. The chimney is made of brick, with two seperate flues and looks to be in great shape. My probelm is that when using the upstairs fireplace a small amount of smoke seems to find it's way into the downstairs fireplace. Looking from the top down I can see no obvious probelms. Could the smoke from the top be traveling down the unused flue? Both have caps on them. Though I don't plan on using the downstairs fireplace, I'm reluctant to seal the top of the flue without knowing exactly what is happening.

Any ideas?

Old 01-21-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello: Mike L.

Interesting problem and well explained.

My suggestions would be:

Try looking UP the chimney from the downstairs level upon first lighting up the UPPER level fireplace. Use a spotlight type flashlight to help see better.

What you will be looking for is where the upstairs fireplace empties into the main chimney. Watch the smoke to see if it is being blown down or just migrating down.

If it's being forced down by the fan, then there is a restriction somewheres.

Try opening a window or door to the outside in that downstairs room. If the smoke reverses and goes back upwards, there is a vacumn being created from inside the house.

If some smoke comes from somewhere other then the upper levels vent <where it empties into the main chimney> there is a crack or separation in the upper levels vent or flue.

Failure to correct a problem like this could be or become hazardous. You will need a chimney sweeper to clean the chimney and inspect it.

Good Luck
Tom

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
E-Mail:TomBartco@doityourself.com

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-21-00, 08:27 PM
Visiting Guest
More information can be found at http://www.mastersweep.com/part4.html#Smoking_in_Other The site covers common chimeny problems and suggests possible courses of action.

Old 01-22-00, 01:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the prompt replies and good ideas. The chimney does have two seperate flues and unfortunatly the lower one is offset so I'm not able to look up it. My plan is to start a fire in the upstairs fireplace and look down the unused flue for any signs of leakage in the flue. If all looks well I'm going to assume that the smoke is migrating down the colder second flue. Would it be safer to seal the unused flue at the top or bottom? Once again thanks for the info!

Old 01-22-00, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Sealing the second flue is the idea behind a top sealing damper. But for a test, completely sealing the second flue is not the best idea. First try Toms' idea of opening a window or door on the floor or within the room where the lower fireplace is located. If your house is too tightly sealed, cold air will be drawn down the second flue to make up for the hot air rising out of the upper flue.

Another method of testing (better than a complete seal) is to wet an old blanket and cover the second flue at the cap. Air will still be able to be drawn down, but smoke from the upper flue will have a more difficult route to tavel. Thus, if it smokes (as it did before) then the flue is cracked or some other chimney related problem exists. Remember: the wet blanket can be ignited, so build a low smokey fire, then use the blanket for the shortest period possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: