Refacing Painted Fireplace

Old 04-04-00, 09:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am very close to buying a home and am hesitant due to the fireplace having several coats of white paint. I've heard that it's nearly impossible to remove the paint, and hop that there is another answer. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advanvce,
Susan

Old 04-06-00, 10:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Nearly impossible, "yes", completely impossible "no". Full and complete removal is not a small ticket item. The first step would be sandbasting using walnut shells as the blast meda (walnut shells do not cut as fast as sand, but they do not do as much damage to the brick face either). Then depending on the remainder: a solvent stripper may be used, and then some of the mortar may need to be cut out and replaced.

If you are unable to do these things yourself this will be a costly paint removal.

Old 04-07-00, 10:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Considering your advice, I may want to consider actual refacing of the fireplace with brick pavers or brick veneers. Would ypu know anything or have any opinions on this?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-09-00, 02:49 PM
Visiting Guest
For refacing some choices include thin veneer of brick, tile, stone tile, stone veneer, light weight imitation stone, stucco (which can be colored and textured in a number of different ways), and if the brick is a veneer facing it could be removed and replaced with new brick. (You're not lacking for choices).

Some of the former materials can be installed with one of the "tile setting" methods: mastics, thin set mortar, and mortar set in a mortar bed. New full brick veneer would involve standard brick and mortar methods.

If brick is your thing, and you want a cover up veneer: thin brick veneer 5/8" thick (sometimes call brick tile) may be applied with mastic, and then the joints filled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: