Chimney rebuild

Old 06-08-00, 11:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Our chimney has a structural crack in the flue and masonry from an earthquake. We've been told we need to take the chimney down to the shoulder (where the crack is) and rebuild from there.

We've been given two options. 1) Rebuild in masonry or 2) Do a metalbestos conversion.

In our situation, it turns out the metalbestos conversion is slightly cheaper & since we want to stucco over the whole chimney anyway, possibly a better way to go.

It also seems like the metalbestos is lighter & would survive future earthquakes better.

Since it seems like it's an all-around better choice, why would someone in our position consider rebuilding in masonry? Will there be any difference in the functionality of the chimney with either option? We previously had some smoking inside, but that was possibly to do the absence of a chimney cap which we intend to install.

Dan.

Old 06-12-00, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Olster,
I am aware of several installations of Pumped masonry relinings (Solid/Flue Refractory Chimney Relining) on the West Coast that were reported to be more than satisfactory. A web page you can use to link to the national Solid/Flue office is: www.centralmichimney.qpg.com. This is my business web page and there is a link there to the national office and they will be able to get you in touch with a dealer in your local. By the way, the lack of a cap on top of your chimney would probably not contribute to a smoking problem. I submitted a information sheet on smoking problems to this area (I was looking for it when I found your posting), maybe it isnt going to be used. If you can't find it let me know with a reply from my web site and I will email it to you directly.

Old 06-13-00, 11:41 AM
Visiting Guest
My impression of the SolidFlue product is that it would repair the cracked flue, but would do nothing for the damaged structural masonry. Since I live in earthquake territory (Southern California), doesn't it seem like a good idea to actually repair the structure of the chimney rather than just the cracked internal flue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: