smoke coming from fireplace if I open doors?

Old 08-02-00, 11:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

We just built a brand new home in November, our zero clearance wood fireplace (heatilator) upstairs burns fine if the doors to the fireplace are closed, but if we open them smoke comes out into the living room. We were told that our home is very airtight and we need to install a hole (vent)for outside air in the fireplace side wall to equalize the air pressure into the room. The fire burns very well and we have no smoke until we open the glass doors of our fireplace. Can anyone give me any advice on this? Thank you for your time

Old 08-03-00, 03:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

My guess is that your new fireplace already has a chimney cap, so backdraft is not the problem, and whoever told you about the air pressure is probably right. However, cutting and welding into a double-wall zero clearance fireplace and installing an after-market air vent would be a costly job. The best solution is to simply crack an outside window to equalize air pressure in the room whenever you're using your fireplace. I bet that this will solve your problem. Works for me. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: