Installation of a wood burning fireplace insert.

Old 08-25-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I recently obtained a fireplace insert but do not have any idea how it should be properly & safely installed in my existing fireplace chamber. Does anyone have lititure or a place where I can get information &/or instructions on how to install an insert. I would really appreciate our help. Thanks.

Old 08-25-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi..I am assuming that you have been using this fireplace prior to purchasing your insert. If the chimney is clean{been checked by a chimney sweep} then the installation is just a matter of sliding into place in your fireplace box. The unit you have purchased should have instructions on this installation.After sliding into place ,install the trim , and you should be ready to go. Good luck Charlie..

Old 08-29-00, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

You need to contact a Certified Chimney Sweep to detail the installation of an insert. "Slammers" are illegal now most everywhere and are dangerous when installed as prescribed. You need a full length chimney liner Listed to UL1777, which is a 2,100deg.F test. The liner should be sized for the stove--not the open FP. Slammers are notorious creosote making machines . Either install it correctly or not at all. Check w/ your insurance and local "authority having jurisdiction"--usually Codes Enforcement.
Bob Harper
Technical Advisory Cmte.
Natl. Chimney Sweep Guild

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: