Adding new wood burner with old chimney

Old 07-12-05, 08:45 AM
chaywood
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Adding new wood burner with old chimney

I am adding a new wood burner in our 115 year old home. I plan on using the old chimney that came with the house. It currently does not have a hole to except the stove pipe.

How do I add one? Drilling or?

#2 I also plan to lay Z-brick (thin brick) under and behind the stove (stove weight is 500lbs). Do you know of any problems with using Z-Brick under these conditions? I am using the z-brick as a non-combustible floor and wall so I can place to stove closer to the wall. I plan to lay fire rated hardiboard under the z-brick which will be under the stove and use fire rated gymsum board under the z-brick on the walls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding new wood burner with old chimney

I would definitely have an expert (chimney sweep, etc.) look at the present chimney before doing everything you propose. He can tell you about the actual condition and suitability of the chimney. There must be a reason it is not used and who knows what has happened since it was last used?

Also pay attention to insurance requirements. If you do not have a proper installation you may find you do not have coverage when you need it.

Dick