Mobile Home Fireplace

Old 08-01-05, 02:31 PM
Sapphire74
Visiting Guest
Mobile Home Fireplace

I am at a lost concerning the fireplace in my mobile home and was hoping someone would be able to help. The back wall has a small crack going up from the base and there is also a pretty good size gap between the base (bottom) and the back wall. I contacted a local company which installs fireplaces who told me that I could order a new one from Marco (the namebrand of the one I currently have) but that it usually takes a year or so for them to come in and then it's usually not the right one. Then they said I couldn't do that because Marco had gone out of business. Then I was told that the fireplaces in mobile homes usually have a steel plate located behind them so it was alright to keep using it and then they turned right around and said they don't and I shouldn't use it. I was also told that what I thought was a fireplace insert wasn't actually a insert but an actual fireplace. It was also suggested that I just use fireplace caulk to fill in the crack and gap but I don't know if that would actually be a safe solution. If someone is familar with mobile home fireplaces I would apperciate some insight.

Thanks Much

Old 01-15-06, 09:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mh fireplace

i have a prefab fireplace in my 1987 champion doublewide. my fireplace has had a crack in it for almost 20 years. i was concerned about it when it first happened so i read the owners manual that came with the fireplace. it said that cracks would not hurt the integrity of the fireplace and was not unsafe. it also said for cosmetic reasons i could fill in the cracks, but i don't remember with what. but remember that is what "my fireplace manufacturer" said in the owners manual. what you need to do is find out who manufactured yours and contact them with the model numer and serial number if you can find it and see what they say. after all is said and done it is your safety and your family that you have to be concerned with. hope this helps.
gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: