Can a gas fireplace be converted?

Old 08-25-05, 09:10 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a gas fireplace be converted?

I have an older house that has a natural gas fireplace. I would really like to get rid of the natural gas and burn wood instead. Exactly what would be needed to "convert" the fireplace and chimney to be able to handle wood? Any ideas on how much this would cost?

Old 08-25-05, 09:32 AM
Cost wise, a lot depends on what you have now that can be used. I would contact a fireplace shop or a chimney sweep in your area that does inspections. You will probably get more answers here so watch the post. Good luck on your project.

Old 08-25-05, 07:56 PM
S
I just pulled out my gas insert and am about to begin turning the fireplace back to its origional state, as a wood burner. I need to have my chimney lined. This is a common need due to the fact that many chimneys are old and were in poor condition when someone decided to put in the gas with its aluminum pipes. I was quoted at about $2,000. for the chimney.

My firebox also needs a redo because the morter is out between many of the bricks, again, another common old fireplace issue. This repair will has been quoted at $2,200., for a total of $4,200. to get me up and burning again.

As I am sure you know, do not accept the lowest bid. If you intend on using the fireplace you do not want to risk burning the house down, so more than likely, the more involved the reconstruction. Good luck on keeping the home fires burning.

Old 09-02-05, 02:35 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The company who gives the lowest bid might be the professional who will do a better rebuild job what you need to look at is ref, BBB complaints, and license and insurance info. We own a masonry and chimney company and we guarantee the lowest quote we are a 5 star company and were nominated the best local company by regional chamber of commerce. so lowest doest mean worst u just have to use your judgement

Old 09-02-05, 02:43 PM
T
Originally Posted by royaltychimney
The company who gives the lowest bid might be the professional who will do a better rebuild job what you need to look at is ref, BBB complaints, and license and insurance info. We own a masonry and chimney company and we guarantee the lowest quote we are a 5 star company and were nominated the best local company by regional chamber of commerce. so lowest doest mean worst u just have to use your judgement
Totally absolutely positively agree......... "Someone" is going to have the lowest bid...... and might do a great job!

On the subject though......... I got rid of my last wood burning fireplace 3 years and 4 houses ago. Never going back! hauling ashes was never my idea of fun - nor hauling wood, storing wood, and dealing with the inevitable smokey house when first starting the fire during unfavorable environmental conditions...... But - to each his own.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: