Chimney what?

Old 08-27-05, 08:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wink Chimney what?

A great old house I am planning to purchase had a chimney fire. What precautions do I need to take to burn wood in the fireplace again safely. What type of professional do I need to get to inspect the chimney? THANKS!!!
Old 08-31-05, 02:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Just get a professional Chimney Sweep in. They'll tell you what needs to be done.

to find one see:

Old 09-01-05, 01:48 PM
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 299
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I were you I'd contact your local fire department. They may check it out for you rather than risk having you call them later this winter. Or they can refer you to someone who can do the inspection also.
Old 09-02-05, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a chimney professional to come out to verify its structurally safe you will probably need a liner installed
Old 09-09-05, 04:59 AM
Davejb's Avatar
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 841
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would go with a chimney pro, many fire departments will not inspect chimneys. Make sure you tell him there was a fire, if it was not extinguished properly (too much water) the liners may have cracked.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: