Sealing/Insulating a fireplace

Old 09-13-05, 08:32 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing/Insulating a fireplace

We have a wood burning fireplace that we don't use. In the winter, this is a source of heat loss. There is a damper in the chimney stack that we have closed off but it does not provide an air tight seal. There is no sealed glass enclosure around the fireplace. Just a metal chain curtain.

How can we seal/insulate this in the winter? In the past, I have used the plastic shrink film used for windows, however this doesn't stick too well to the ground around the fireplace since its brick, plus its not very visually appealing.

Old 09-17-05, 10:28 AM
raddenbachj
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down A chimney balloon chimney pillow worked for me

I had the same problem with a leaky cold fireplace last year in the exact same way. I read an article in Powerhouse News from my power company about a chimney pillow. I looked online and bought a Chimney Balloon (brand name) out of the UK. It worked well and I bought one for my neighbor too because we have cookie cutter houses and he had the same problem as I did with the cold fireplace. the trick is to not forget it in your fireplace because the little bugger will melt and faul out if you light a fire under it. Which i good for you (it allows the smoke to go out instead of back up into your home) but your balloon is shot after that.

You can buy the Chimney Balloons in the US now though instead of buying them out of the UK in british pounds (Credit card companies loves to charge extra for foreign transactions!)

Just to clarify, .

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 09-17-05 at 10:39 AM. Reason: no adds
Old 09-17-05, 10:43 AM
Wink

You can also cut a plywood to fit right in the front. Paint it or what ever. Caulk around it to fit tight to the brick. There also is a damper made to go up on top of the chimney that you can open and close from the firplace.

ED

Old 09-18-05, 01:42 PM
H
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into each suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: