How do I fill gap inside fireplace

Old 10-06-05, 07:44 AM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
Question How do I fill gap inside fireplace

I have a brick front/brick hearth fireplace. The actual fireplace has slightly seperated from the front wall. What I'm saying is - if you stick your head inside the fireplace you can see a gap between the box and the wall. After examination it turned out that the hearth and fireplace had no support down in the crawlspace and probably seperated as they leaned forward. I had supports installed and that should keep any further seperation from occuring. Chimney seems fine.

Problem is that I have about a 1/2" gap at the top of the fireplace. What is the best way to fill this gap? I tried some masonry filler from Lowes and managed to fill the 1/8" gap at the bottom and the seperation at the sides, but it will not work overhead. Just falls out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-05, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try fireplace mortar in a caulk tube. Red Devil makes one and I am sure there are other manufacturers. Ace Hardwares sells such a product and probably the Big Box stores. Using a caulk will permit you to put pressure on the mortar in the joint which will assist in holding it in place. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: