wood insert and price breakdown

Old 10-24-05, 11:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wood insert and price breakdown

hi,
i got a breakdown of the prices for getting a wood burning insert installed. It gives the price of the insert, the surround, the liner, and then the labor and door. First of all...what's a surround? and we were told 300 for labor. Does that sound about right? Also, we're having this put into an existing wood burning fireplace. Is it normal that this company didn't say anything about needing to come out and take a look at our fireplace before ordering it? They didn't even ask for measurements.

Old 10-24-05, 11:42 AM
Fireplaces & Chimneys > wood insert and price breakdown

I would say they either have a crystal ball or no idea of what they are doing.

They obviously could not provide you with any guarantee. The cost of bringing what you have up to code could cost many times the labor. If they do not include everything in the firm written quotation, you will end up in an arguement what was included. You will have no choice but to let them finish at their own price.

I would get several other quotes to see if the job is as small and simple as they they think.

Make sure you tell them you want it to meet code or you could have a big loss with no insusrance. Even without a fire, you could have a problem selling a house with a non-conforming fireplace.

Dick

Old 10-24-05, 11:43 AM
my1889home
Visiting Guest
As you can see from my post today, we're looking at inserts too.

In my experience over the past week's research, every place I've called has asked for measurements off the bat to make sure we were choosing the right unit. As for labor, you're doing pretty good: out here in Buffalo, it costs $500 to have an insert installed.

Which unit are you going for?

Old 10-24-05, 02:31 PM
M
well this place we're getting it from is a place we've been referred to by multiple people and a few different companies also. I'm going to have to do some calling. The one we're getting is a napolean 1401.

Old 11-13-05, 05:36 PM
Merrie
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a good price to me. I'm having a Yotel insert intalled and it's over 3 grand for the unit installed. They did ask for measurements. The other quote I got they came out and measured for a 75 dollar fee - which they credit at purchase. It is possible for your chimney not to be high enough as well as other issues, so a look ahead of tiime is wise. - Merrie

Old 11-28-05, 04:52 PM
marylou
Visiting Guest
insert is big mistake

We made the mistake of converting from a wood stove that jutted out into the room to a very expensive insert with blower. Previously we heated the whole house with the wood stove--it was very efficient but took up floor space. Thinking we were doing something smart, we had a fancy wood burning insert installed. It looks pretty but doesn't do nearly as good a job at heating. I wish we had just bought a newer woodstove--it would have been less expensive and more efficient.

Old 11-28-05, 07:06 PM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

Depending on the area you're in, that cost sounds appropriate for installation of that unit. The surround is the piece that is fitted around the unit and extends to overlap the edge of the facing of your fireplace. And, though it is not always necessary to see the fireplace before installation you would more than likely need to know the measurements. And it is always, always the best idea to have your chimney inspected by a professional - preferably using a closed circuit video inspection system - to make sure of the condition of the interior of your chimney before installation.

Old 12-02-05, 02:44 AM
C
Originally Posted by marylou
We made the mistake of converting from a wood stove that jutted out into the room to a very expensive insert with blower. Previously we heated the whole house with the wood stove--it was very efficient but took up floor space. Thinking we were doing something smart, we had a fancy wood burning insert installed. It looks pretty but doesn't do nearly as good a job at heating. I wish we had just bought a newer woodstove--it would have been less expensive and more efficient.

I know everyone can have different results with different things so I'm surprised to read your post, the fact you had a negative experience going from a wood stove to a insert. Could it be the BTU for your insert is not capable to heating the required spaced? From searching the internet all I've read is how efficient inserts are. I recently moved to Charlotte from West Palm Beach and the home we purchased currently have a gas fire place. When we had our home inspection, the inspector stated we could remove the gas system and burn wood since we have a conventional chimney. I'm new to this whole chimney, wood stove, insert thing, so what exactly is a wood stove? They do have gas and wood burning inserts, correct? Also can a gas chimney be converted into a wood burning chimey or was my inspector serving me a hot one?

Old 12-02-05, 08:34 AM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

Providing that you do have a natural, masonry fireplace (not a pre-fab) you should have no problem capping the gas line, removing the gas logs, and using your firpelace as woodburning.
A woodstove is normally a free standing unit (picture an old fashioned pot-belly stove) that can either be vented into an existing masonry chimney or can be vented through its own Class A chimney. Woodstoves usually heat through radiant heat (no blowers involved). And most inserts have blowers, most are powered by electricity and some are powered only through convection.
As for inserts: there are both gas and woodburning inserts.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-03-05, 07:24 PM
C
Originally Posted by jocelynj
Providing that you do have a natural, masonry fireplace (not a pre-fab) you should have no problem capping the gas line, removing the gas logs, and using your firpelace as woodburning. A woodstove is normally a free standing unit (picture an old fashioned pot-belly stove) that can either be vented into an existing masonry chimney or can be vented through its own Class A chimney. Woodstoves usually heat through radiant heat (no blowers involved). And most inserts have blowers, most are powered by electricity and some are powered only through convection.
As for inserts: there are both gas and woodburning inserts. Hope this helps!
It does help, but at the chance of sounding like a noob I'll provide some pics and a couple more questions.

Gas fireplace in it's full glory, nothing out the ordinary
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_43_full.jpg

Side vent plate that adds oxygen to the bottom of a wood fire, when I slide the plate back I do feel cool air from outside
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_44_full.jpg

As you can see looking up into the chimney the door is in the closed position, what's the exact name for this door?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_45_full.jpg

Outside of the chimney. I never attempted to open this door but I guess this is just another access door to the chimney. What exactly is it used for?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_48_full.jpg

Two more pics of the chimney exterior
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_50_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_49_full.jpg

And finally, this valve that's inside the room next to the chimney. What does it do and what is it for?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_46_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_47_full.jpg

BTW is hot linking a pic allowed?

Last edited by CandiMan; 12-03-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 06:34 AM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

"Gas fireplace in it's full glory, nothing out the ordinary":
It appears that you have a natural, masnory fireplace.

"Side vent plate that adds oxygen to the bottom of a wood fire, when I slide the plate back I do feel cool air from outside":
That's a combustion air intake.

"As you can see looking up into the chimney the door is in the closed position, what's the exact name for this door?"
That is called the damper

"Outside of the chimney. I never attempted to open this door but I guess this is just another access door to the chimney. What exactly is it used for?"
If you don't have a basement (which most homes in Fla don't) that is your ash dump access door.

"And finally, this valve that's inside the room next to the chimney. What does it do and what is it for?"
It appears this may be the control for the pilot light - if it is, you should have a key that fits into that hole and should allow you to turn the pilot on and off.

Old 12-04-05, 12:59 PM
C
[QUOTE=jocelynj"And finally, this valve that's inside the room next to the chimney. What does it do and what is it for?"
It appears this may be the control for the pilot light - if it is, you should have a key that fits into that hole and should allow you to turn the pilot on and off.[/QUOTE]

So you had to copy/paste my link, sorry about that. When you say that should be the control for the pilot light are you refering to the main on/off valve for the gas? If so, I already have a on/off valve for the gas. Do you see that dummy plate right above the valve in question, in there behind the sheet rock is where my main on/off valve for the gas is located

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00_46_full.jpg

Old 12-05-05, 08:38 AM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

This is the best I could find, but if you look at this image http://www.northlineexpress.com//det...D~5SA-6900.asp
You'll see something that looks very similar to the picture you have - if you alredy have a gas shutoff valve, this may be a supplemental or emergency shut off valve. And, although I am not familiar with this product it appears that what you have is designed to light woodburning fires, not for gas logs - but I could be wrong. I would say that at this point for addtional questions about your system itself you're probably better off either contacting the manufacturer or a dealer/retailer of that specific product. I'm sorry I'm unable to help any further - but if you have additional questions regarding the chimney itself I should be able to help you much further there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: