new liner for H2O heater

Old 10-24-05, 01:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new liner for H2O heater

We are getting a new 92% furnace put in, and instead of venting throught the chimney like our old one, it will be direct vented out of the basement wall. This leaves only our natural gas hot water heater using the chimney. I live in a 1927 brick chicago bungalow and the chimney is on the outside of the house. I have been told that since the heater is the only appliance using the chimney I'd need to put a 4" liner in to make the chimney the right size.

My question is what is involved with this install? and what is the best way to have it done. I am planning on having a professional do it I just want some pointers to look for.

What would be best aluminum or SS?

I've heard that they should intall a T connection at the bottom (not sure what this is for?) and also it should be insulated.

Right now it looks like our chimney is just brick no liner, it does have its original stone cap. Can I keep this with the new liner?

Is there anything else I should be look for?

thanks for the info
deacon

Old 10-24-05, 03:25 PM
I would reccomend a liner. You contractor should be able to do it for you with a lot less hastle then doing it yourself.

Old 10-24-05, 03:35 PM
T
hey Mat,

ya I'm going with a contractor, just wondering what I should look for as far as the set up. Are there specific things I should ask about, (ie. t-conection at base of liner?)

thanks
deacon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: