Chimney Crown Repair

Old 10-25-05, 03:43 PM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
Chimney Crown Repair

I read the only other post on chimney repair and thought my question was sufficiently different from that one.

I have a chimney with 2 flues, one for the fireplace the other for the furnace. There is a 2 inch gap between the flues on the crown. I want to repair this then add a chimney cap and possible waterproof the chimney as i see considerable efflorescence below the mantle in my living room.

Any advice regarding the products i should use to repair the crown, waterproof the chimney, and how i would go about doing it would be appreciated.

In addition any information regarding the best types of caps i should use would be helpful also. Is stainless steel the norm?

Thanks
Andy

Old 10-25-05, 03:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Beet
I read the only other post on chimney repair and thought my question was sufficiently different from that one.

I have a chimney with 2 flues, one for the fireplace the other for the furnace. There is a 2 inch gap between the flues on the crown. I want to repair this then add a chimney cap and possible waterproof the chimney as i see considerable efflorescence below the mantle in my living room.

Any advice regarding the products i should use to repair the crown, waterproof the chimney, and how i would go about doing it would be appreciated.

In addition any information regarding the best types of caps i should use would be helpful also. Is stainless steel the norm?

Thanks
Andy

Andy,
There are some light weight pre mixed products that are very easy to apply to your crown. Beats the heck out of hauling buckets of morter mix up to the roof. Check your local Big Box store, and if you measure your flue ID and OD you probably will find a cap at the same place. Stainless is the best but costs the most.

Good luck! and use a properly rated ladder.

BB

Old 10-31-05, 08:48 AM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
Thanks,
Do you have any more information on these premixed products. I went to Home depot and couldnt find anything, and the guy there didnt know too much either!

Also what products should i use to waterproof the crown and the chimney?
cheers
Andy

Old 10-31-05, 02:59 PM
B
Andy,
To be honest, I purchase all my supplies thru a contractor only supply house in Calif. So I'm not sure if those same products are out in the open market place OR if they are, what name they would use.
Try this E-mail: rmrproducts@verizon.net
Ask them for a local distributor /chimney sweep in your area. Or if they sell to the public.
Hope that helps.

BB

Old 11-01-05, 03:34 PM
T
If you have considerable efflorescence below the mantle, a chimney inspection is recommended. Moisture that freezes and thaws can affect mortar joints and make chimney unsafe. A leaking crown can cause mortar joints on exterior of chimney to deteriorate and brick to spall.

Old 11-09-05, 05:47 PM
SuperSweepTN05
Visiting Guest
QUIKRETE Gray or White fiber re-inforced bonding cement, just add water and apply, make sure you wire brush the crown really good and have a nice float to make it pretty.. dont forget to spray the crown down with a spray bottle of water before application of the bonding cement

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: