Granite accent on fireplace?

Old 11-10-05, 09:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Granite accent on fireplace?

Hi, my current gas fireplace has 6x6 tiles that looks something like this:

Tile accent fireplace

Can I order a granite slab cut in the right dimentions and glue it into the area to make it look like this?

Stone accent fireplace

How thick does the granite have to be. The slabs are normally 2cm but I'm thinking that will be too heavy and too thick? I've searched the web but can only find marble around fireplaces, not granite.. Is granite prone to fire damage and marble isnt?

If it ends up costing too much I'll probably just go with granite tiling instead of the current ceramic tiling.

Old 11-10-05, 09:57 AM
A
Typical granite (and marble) fireplace surrounds are about 3/4" thick (roughly 2cm). Whenever you're dealing with a slab, the material has to be thicker just to support the weight of the stone structure.

I hope this doesn't count as an advertisement, but I found granite facing kits at [url=http://www.mantelsdirect.com/facing.html?ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=mantel+surrnd+cstm&ovcrn=fireplace+surround&ovtac=PPCthis place[/url] while looking for information myself. It'll give you an idea of what people are charging for that sort of kit. The nearly $500 price tag is a bit steep unless the aesthetics of a near-jointless facing is more important. You have to remember that nice granite tile won't cost you more than about $6.00 a foot, and you can cut four six-inch tiles from each piece.

If you want a completely joint-free facing, you'll have to buy it custom-made. You'll also waste a good bit of granite when you have the center cut out for the fireplace, and you'll still get charged for the waste.

Old 11-10-05, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to have to go with granite tile now, and maybe do the granite slab in a year or two.. I know a place that does $26/sf custom 2cm granite slabs but still pricy cause the fireplace will use 16sf slab... Already doing too much with current renovations ..

Only problem now is, gotta find a store that will sell the 2 boxes of granite tile I need since most require min sf purchase.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: