mantel problem

Old 11-20-05, 07:16 AM
cas
Visiting Guest
mantel problem

We have just purchased a very old home. While painting the living room this weekend we noticed that the fireplace mantel is not flush with the wall. The mantel is very large and the walls have settled quite a bit.
The gaps have cold air just pushing right through. My questions are numerous , but I'm wondering first is it possible to push the mantel back flush? Is there a type of caulk that should be used to seal it between the wall and mantel? We do not want to have to buy a new mantel and with winter here we would love to fix this cold air flow. Any suggestions?

Old 11-25-05, 03:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lifting and pushing back your mantel would be a big job, and probably a Pro job. One thing wrong and kaboom. You mantel is framed in so not an easy task. Now if it were me, I would buy a couple cans of Insulation in a can. Get the non expanding type. Follow directions, squirt it in, and it will give you a permenent seal. After it drys, you can form it with a knife, and even put some stain on it to make it blend in. This is what I would do. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: