Refractory Mortar

Old 11-28-05, 06:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refractory Mortar

When I went to buy the materials for the woodstove chimney I'm building (simple block chimney with terra cotta liner), I asked for some refractory mortar for the liner. That's what the code here (IRC 2003) says to use. The brick and stone place I went to said they don't even carry the stuff - Type S would be fine and that's what everybody uses. Is this good advice? I have a hard time believing so. It's an airtight stove if that matters.

Old 12-05-05, 02:37 PM
M
Anyone????

Old 12-05-05, 03:41 PM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

Usually a high-temp refractory mortar is what is used something like a ChamberTech2000. I'm not sure the specifications of the "type S", your best bet is probably to contact the building inspector of your city or township and get advice from him on what to use - after all he will be the one to approve the chimney once it's completed.

Old 12-05-05, 04:36 PM
Refractory Mortar

Type S or any other normal type portland cement mortar is not appropriate. The people that lead you to believe that probably use a joint that is too thick also.

A thin refractory mortar joint is the only way to go. Why go through all the work and use the wrong materials?

Dick

Old 12-06-05, 09:01 AM
M
Thanks. I figured the advice was suspect. Oddly, the place I got it is the largest brick, block and stone place anywhere around here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: