Preventing glass from turning black on wood stove

Old 12-02-05, 06:21 AM
shore_pk
Visiting Guest
Question Preventing glass from turning black on wood stove

We just purchased a new non-cat wood burning stove. We really like it. The only problem we are having is keeping the glass doors clear. They are really hard to get clean when they turn black and it seems we can't keep them from turning black each time we have a fire.

I did a search on the net trying to find out what to do to prevent this but could only find cleaning advice. Is there a way to keep them from turning black in the first place?

Thanks,

Linda

Old 12-02-05, 02:45 PM
endeavour
Visiting Guest
has your wood burner been made with vents at the top of the glass as well as the vents at the bottom to give oxygen?

Old 12-03-05, 06:17 AM
shore_pk
Visiting Guest
It doesn't have vents at all. It is a Vermont Castings, Encore, non-cat.

Old 12-03-05, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Selection of wood is important. Woods such as pine have sap in them that will cause the blackening. Try to burn only seasoned hardwoods. If you purchase your wood, watch for filler woods in the rick or cords delivered. Burning pine and such also will cause cresote buildup in the chimney that could result in a chimney or flue fire. Good luck.

Old 12-04-05, 02:03 PM
shore_pk
Visiting Guest
I live in North Central Texas. We don't know what pine trees are :-)

Anyway, we burn oak. Still having quite a problem with the glass turning black.

Linda

Old 12-09-05, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had a Vermont Castings up in the islands.. they're great stoves, but mine had a vent to let air in.. its almost a neccesity to have an air input from somewhere to get a good burn or even to maintain a burn... that would cause black soot in your stove, I'd check a little farther about some sort of air intake or vent on the stove.. as to cleaning, orange cleaner works great, it will cut the worst stuff off of glass without scrubbing.. wipe on, wipe off.. I use the orange cleaner that comes in a plastic can about the size of a coffee can, has a little flip lid on top that you pull a towelette out of.. very citrussy....

Old 12-11-05, 08:03 AM
Did you try NOT cleaning the glass. A friend of mine has a similar stove, and, while his glass is usually black after the fire has cooled down and gone out, the next fire, once it gets really going, burns away the black coating on the glass. Thus, while having a fire, you can see the logs and fire very clearly through the glass. However, between fires, the glass is black. He does have an outside air intake for this stove, which allows him to regulate the rate of burn. Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-05, 06:23 PM
J
Our stove has done the black gunk on the glass thing for years. Two things work: if the fire gets really hot, the glass clears all by itself. At other times, when the fire is out and the stove is still pretty warm to the touch (still some glowing coals here and there), dip a wet paper towel into cool white ash on the floor of the stove, and rub it over the black stuff, then finish with a dry piece of newpaper. Wear a heat-proof glove, just to be safe. It's miraculous how the ash dissolves that black gunk while the glass is warm (not burning hot!).

Old 12-19-05, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the orange stuff would be much safer..

Old 12-23-05, 06:40 PM
gmalette
Visiting Guest
My old VT Castings (in the old house) never had the problem, my new one does. It happens because when a chimeny is on the outside of a house, there is no natural draft. As a fire dies out, the draft weakens and eventually stops. The smoke is not drawn out of the stove before it deposits soot all over the glass.

There is no good answer if you can not move your chimney inside. You might try scraping with a razor blade, or rubbing it off with tin foil crumpled up into a ball, or newspaper crumpled up.

Old 12-10-13, 07:48 AM
V
I have the same problem with the "black glass". I use no fume oven cleaner to soften the gunk and scrape it lightly with a razor blade scraper and it's gone then I finish it off with glass cleaner and a paper towel. However, It is an almost daily task. I have not found a prevention method.

Old 12-10-13, 07:59 AM
Thanks

Thanks. I have tried different glass cleaners from different stove manufacturers and from Home depot, all with somewhat limited results. I will try your suggestion. Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-16-13, 06:50 AM
L
Is your wood dry? Usually this is due to wood with a moisture content over 20% or running with the damper too low. Oak takes 2-3 years to dry after split. I had the same problem until I got ahead on the cutting & drying and burning is much better now. I get some gray ash on the glass after a while and it cleans up with a wet rag only. If I do get black or brown it will burn itself off on the next hot fire.

Generally whatever is on the glass is probably in the chimney also. Don't forget to clean the chimney before it builds up too much creosote.

As far as cleaning glass, the paper towel and ash works good. I would not recommend a razor blade as it might damage the glass, but am guilty of trying it with no ill effects.

Old 12-16-13, 04:39 PM
S
Spray Nine/Permatex 15825-DISC 25-Oz. Fireview Wood Stove & Firepl

This stuff works good to get that stuff off pretty well if you let it soak. Like others said a hot fire will get it off too

Old 01-17-14, 08:03 PM
R
fire place glass

I do not know how to prevent the glass from getting black, but the fastest & best way I have found to get the glass clean is to use oven cleaner when the fire is gone & the glass has cooled down.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-18-14 at 05:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: