Seal up the chimney? or not?

Old 12-17-05, 07:56 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seal up the chimney? or not?

Recently bought a very old fixer-upper (1920s) and had the chimney inspected. We were given two estimates, one to seal it up and use a vent-free system, and one to clean it up and use a vented system...

The vent-free estimate (sealing up the chimney, etc.) came in at almost 600 before the purchase of the gas logs...

The 2nd estimate, to keep the chimney open, would require clean-up of the chimney, rebuild the firebox, put in the damper, cap, etc, came in at almost 1300 before the purchase of the logs.

Was just wondering one, if these estimates seem fair, I didn't expect them to be this high, although that might've just been naivete on my part. And also does anyone has any input on making this decision? My inclination is not to seal it up, although if it's strictly an economic decision I guess I could get used to it...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 08:22 AM
J
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

I think it is an entirely personal decision; however, you may want to get some opinions on vent free systems before you purchase. Although vent free systems are approved in many states many people are quickly realizing that those systems are not alwyas the best way to go. Many people become nauseous because of a strong gas odor.
In addition, I know the second company suggested rebuilding the firebox; if it does need to be rebuilt you would probably need to have that done before you have any type of gas log set installed, vented or not.
Out of curiosity, how did the one company propose to seal the chimney?

Old 12-17-05, 08:33 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
actually, it was one company who provided both quotes. I'll probably have another company come in with a quote too, to make sure the prices are fair...

they didn't say specifically how they'd treat the firebox, just that they would...

that's a good point about the odor, I had also heard that there are higher risks of carbon monoxide and water vapor issues with a vent-free system, although with a house as old as ours (with plenty of cracks everywhere) the guy didn't think it'd be too much of an issue?