turning off gas at the meter

Old 12-24-05, 10:04 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
turning off gas at the meter

I need to install a plug on a gas line that has no valve between the spot and the meter. What precautions do I need to take before and after I shut off the gas to eleviate any potential hazards in the house(fire,explosion,small children)?Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Old 12-26-05, 05:27 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most gas meters have emergency shut off valves. Gas companies instruct that should you turn the gas off for any reason that it needs to be turned back on by a professional. Any changes to the line will likely require inspection. Check with your local gas company.

Old 01-03-06, 03:40 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should really just call the gas company and let them come out and do it but if you must. On the meter there is the cutoff that is usually just a straight bar that is either going straight up and down. Turn the cutoff half to where it is point side to side. You cancheck it by turning on a stove burner(it should NOT light) Your pilot on the water heater will also go out. When you install the plug use pipe dope and do not use teflon tape. Turn gas on and then go relight pilot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: