Info on vermont castings wood stoves

Old 01-27-06, 02:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Info on vermont castings wood stoves

I'm thinking of getting a vermont castings "encore" woodstove. They're expensive, so I want to know for sure I won't get any problems. Does anyone here own one? I want to know things like: Do they light easily? Do they stay in all night? Are they robust, or do parts tend to break easily? Is it vital to use seasoned wood, or can I get away with half-seasoned wood?
Any other problems I haven't thought of?

Old 01-27-06, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had one in Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands... it was a terrific wood stove!.. lit easily, stayed fired up depending on the way you set it to run.. I always fired it with an alder or softer wood, then after it was fired up, added oak.. the oak would sit in there and turn into a big red hot coal and heat for a couple days.. I'd have it now in my new place if wood was easier to come by.. I use pellets now, but if they keep going up in price, I'll find wood is a lot easier to go hunt it down.. go for it.. you won't be sorry...

Old 01-28-06, 04:41 PM
R
Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, frhwa. I've read some positive and some negative comments on these stoves on the forum, so my mind is still not made up. How long did you have yours? Did you have any problems with it? Do you know anybody else who has one?
Thanks.
Rufus

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: