Help get rid of creosote

Old 02-06-06, 10:17 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help get rid of creosote

Hope someone can help with this smelly situation.

We have a brick fireplace in the basement which was used for many years. Our house is 2 stories so the chimney is quit high. Then my dad installed a wood burning stove and connected to the same chimney as the brick fireplace. Last year my mother no longer wanted the wood burning fireplace since my dad passed away and decided to get rid of it after 10 years of not being used.

We started to get an unusual odor in the house and we could not understand where it was coming from. We had the furnace, all the duct work and the chimney cleaned hoping that the odor would disappear but itís still there.

In order to clean the chimney the damper had to be broken because my dad had sealed it off when he installed the wood burning stove. Now there is an opening all the way up the chimney.

We desperately need help in finding a way to get rid of this odor which I now believe is creosote.

Angela

Old 02-06-06, 02:29 PM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

You are likely correct that the smell is creosote. However, the chimney may have much heavier deposits of creosote that what is brushable with a normal chimney sweep.
I would suggest contacting a chimney sweep in your area who offers a creosote removal product or service. There are several products available that are not an acid (which is what most people think that type of product would be) and there is even a method that uses no chemical at all and instead uses a motor that spins in the chimney and knocks the excess creosote off the flues.
As a side note, I would also suggest trying to find a chimney professional who offers and internal video inspection - it would be a good idea to make sure of the interior condition of your chimney before using it again. It is not uncommon for chimneys venting woodstoves to have one or more chimney fires.

Good Luck!

Old 02-06-06, 08:01 PM
P
Creosote smell when furnance comes on

Thanks for the reply. I hope I can find chimney sweep who offers creosote removal in my area. I am curious though as to why the creosote smell comes through the forced air duct when the furnace starts.

Angela

Old 02-06-06, 08:12 PM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
You may also have some negative pressure in your home; so when your furnace is running it may be pulling air from inside your chimney to use as combustion air. That is probably why it's coming through the ducts.

Old 09-18-09, 08:21 PM
G
stinky fireplace

As stated, you are probubly right that the source of the smell is creosote since the damper is broken and it is a wood buring fireplace. A cleaning may help in the long term but in the short term it will make the smell worse since the bruching will stir up the smell of the creosote.
A good combo would be to get the chimney brush cleaned and then put a chimney balloon in right after that to air seal the fireplace so the smell will vent to the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: