Confused about building a new fireplace

Old 02-22-06, 12:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confused about building a new fireplace

Hi fellow DIYers, I have bought a gas fireplace and surround and mantle and so forth and want to fit it myself. I already have a gas supply and will probably get someone to connect it. My chimney has been bricked up for years. I have knocked through a whole to find that there is no fireplace inside. Is it ok for me to just build a new masonry fire place or are there any codes regarding safty I need to adere to? I would be grateful for any advice on this job because I'm not feeling too confident about this project.

Old 02-22-06, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thewoo, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would advise an inspection of your situation. You will probably need a chimney liner installed. This can be done DIY. Not knowing why it was sealed up makes it hard to give you an accurate and safe answer. Watch this post for the expert answers. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-22-06, 04:27 PM
jocelynj
Visiting Guest
Smile

I would recommend have the chimney inspected by a professional; preferrably a certified chimney techinician who offers an internal video inspection.

A certified techinician will have been trained and tested to verify he/she is familiar with and understands fire codes, the physics of a chimney, and what condition the chimney needs to be in to use safely.

The internal video inspection will allow you and the technician an in-depth view of the smoke chamber and the lining of your chimney so together you can make the best decision on which direction to go.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: