remove wood burn stv and rplce with firplac

Old 04-30-06, 05:38 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question remove wood burn stv and rplce with firplac

I am about to purchase a home that has a huge wood burning stove in the dining room. I can't stand the way it looks and it takes up too much space. Is it possible to remove the stove and replace it with a woodburning fireplace? I assume because there is already a chimney, it shouldn't be too hard to find somebody who can do this.....I am just not sure where to start...and would like to know if it is possible....are chimneys for wood burning stoves the same as chimneys for fireplaces?

Old 04-30-06, 06:05 AM
deeinprinceton, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Does the chimney pipe go through the roof or out the wall? Codes vary by locality as to what materials have to be used for chimneys. House insurance is another item to think about. Where I live, a fireplace does not increase my homeowners insurance but a woodburning stove does. (by 15%). Since it sounds like you are going to have this work done rather than doing it yourself, I would suggest getting at least 3 estimates and see what each tells you. Even if you then decide to DIY it, you will have the information you need. You could also check with a few Fireplace shops in your area for code information. Good luck.

Old 05-03-06, 02:16 AM
D
original poster

thanks, the stove goes into the wall and up the chimney. There is a full chimney on the outside wall of the house....it looks just like a fireplace chimney.....i will check with some stores....do i just go to a fireplace store?

Old 05-03-06, 04:41 AM
Going to a local store would be best. They know all the local codes and can be of great assistance. You don't have to buy from the first one you visit. Check around and you can get an idea of what you want and the cost.

Old 05-03-06, 10:06 AM
A
A chimney without a fireplace? is that normal? Ive always seen chimneys with fireplaces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: