scratched (slate?) fireplace (hearth)

Old 07-26-06, 08:45 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
scratched (slate?) fireplace (hearth)

Howdy. I'm trying to sell my house and it appears that storing my exercise bike on the black stone (I think it might be slate) "plain" in front of the fireplace (about 2.5' deep by 6' wide) has resulted in lots of scratches and discoloration. Can you tell I don't know much about fireplaces?

Anyhow, short of replacing it, is there some sort of product or commercially available service (but not too pricey) that I could use to at least clean up the stone, fade the scratches, and basically make it look better? Okay, if I have to replace just that part, any estimates on the price to have that sort of work done and the time involved?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 10:40 PM
T
If slate had a surface sealer applied, it is possible scratches may be primarily in surface sealer. Slate, however, is susceptible to scratches. Perhaps sealing slate with a surface sealer recommended for slate and natural stone products may camouflage the scratches.

If not slate, proper identification of stone used in hearth would be helpful. For instance, if marble, it would require professional buffing to buff out scratches and restore shine.

Old 08-02-06, 01:06 PM
V
Thanks!

It is almost certainly slate and had some sort of sealer (scratches go "well beyond" the sealer). In fact, I picked up some stone cleaner and without too much difficulty removed say 90% of the darkening sealer (which allowed me to identify the stone as probably slate). I'll try to clean off the rest but I'm loathe to drop $30+ on a pint of stone enhancing (darkening) sealer that would probably only help a little bit.