Advice on fireplace insert

Old 08-27-06, 06:19 PM
Grantk
Visiting Guest
Advice on fireplace insert

I've been thinking about installing a woodburning fireplace insert in my fireplace. I currently have a straight fireplace and I understand it's a big heat waster.

I went to my local stove and insert folks and described my situation. Total square foot of the house is about 2600, but it's a long ranch house, so I'm only looking at heating the middle area. We agreed that a unit sized for 1200 to 1500 square feet is probably most appropiate. We went over the opening size, and apparently the fireplace is pretty standard. It's on an outside wall and constructed of brick.

They had 4 different brands available, Regency, Pacific Energy, Quadra-Fire and Hampton. All four had starting prices in the $3,000 range. They recommended installation of a stainless steel liner in the flue for another $1,000, while their installation fee is $750.

We're talking $5,000. Is this where the market has gone or am I getting ripped off?

Grant

Old 08-27-06, 06:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A chimney professional should first clean and inspect your chimney before making your purchase. His major concerns are your safety and the safety of your home, not to make a sale. Steel liners are recommended for safety reasons. A chimney professional may provide you with additional information as well as a better price point on installation fees. Shop around and compare apples to apples and pricing of wood burning inserts for your home. You will want an EPA certified unit and one that will work with your size chimney for maximum efficiency.

Old 08-28-06, 05:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd say that was awfully steep but it also may Depend on your location, up here in NW Wisc, I just had a Vermont Castings Dutchwest Insert installed in my open style fireplace, Stove was $1025.00 , 25' SS liner was $400 and the Installation was $500 so for around $2k I did pretty good and am very happy with the looks and quality!! I did look at some of the models you mentioned and they were running in the low 2's around here if that helps. (Mn state fair time and lottsa sales being offered) Many said their supplies were very tight/low with the cost of gas/oil being so high......

T

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: