Fireplace Remodel

Old 10-11-06, 02:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Remodel

I have an interior fireplace that appears to be covered with a really roughly textured stucco. I really can't stand the texture of the stucco and would like to either re-texture it to a smooth surface, or possibly even prep it in order to be tiled with stone. What would be the best method for either of these?

Additionally, the previous homeowner put Saltillo tile on the hearth and did a pretty ugly job. I know Saltillo usually has pretty big grout joints but these are HUGE! I want to remove the saltillo but am concerned about potentially damaging the stucco beneath it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-16-06, 05:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The stucco went on in layers, and can come off the same way, although it will take a little effort. I would remove all the stucco prior to attempting to either smooth it out or stone it (preferred). Once you get the stucco to start breaking off, you should be able to take it off in sheets by prying under it. It will make a mess, so be prepared. Also, with the hearth, if you plan on redoing the fireplace surround itself, the hearth stucco is not consequential, so do it the same way and replace it all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: