negative pressure - heating rooms where fireplace isn't

Old 11-30-06, 08:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
negative pressure - heating rooms where fireplace isn't

Our fireplace does a good job of heating the room it's in, but the rest of the house is cold. Is it ok to turn on the heater while the fireplace is going to heat the rest of the house?

We have central, air forced heating. Single story home, roughly 1100 square feet.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 08:52 AM
T
Wink Love that fireplace

In today's modern homes, the fireplace is usually decorative rather than functional.

You will probably find that your furnace's thermostat is located in the living room. If so, as the fireplace heats up the living room, the furnace will stay shut off.

To eliminate this problem, relocate your thermostat to another part of the home. My brother has this exact problem and by moving the thermostat to the other side of a wall, the rest of his home stayed at a comfortable level.

Along with the actual heat of the room, if the thermostat is close to the fireplace, radiant heet from the fire will also heat up the thermostat.

Hope this helps.

Ted Heissner

Old 11-30-06, 09:02 AM
S
This is helpful, I should have phrased my question better.

what I want to know is, will turning on the heater create a backdraft and pull smoke from the fireplace into the room?

I've read where running the clothes dryer does, but haven't seen anything regarding using the heater.

thanks.

Old 11-30-06, 04:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 176 Posts
I have a wood stove and a heat pump, I usually keep the thermostat set about 65` when burning wood - just incase the fire goes out. When the further rooms get chilly, turning the HP fan on is often enough to warm up those areas.

I've never noticed any problems with smoke either from the HP or the dryer.

Old 11-30-06, 04:21 PM
Wink

Turn the furnace tstat to fan on and let it run when you have the fireplace going.

Old 11-30-06, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Another thing to do is reverse your ceiling fans and run on low speed. They will have a tendency to pull air through the doors push it to the ceiling and wash the walls with warm air.

Old 12-05-06, 06:55 PM
S
Well, I don't have a thermostat fan, heat pump or ceiling fans. I turned on the heat with no smoke problems. Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking into upgrading to wood burning fireplace insert, I've heard you get better heat.

Old 12-06-06, 06:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Stumped1 View Post
Well, I don't have a thermostat fan, .
Are you sure? Your furnace has a fan to force the warm air thru the ducts. I thought all t-stats had a switch where you can turn on just the fan - but then I'm just a painter not a HVAC guy. You could also just use a regular fan to send warm air towards the cooler parts of the house.

I have friends that use inserts and they do heat a lot better than just a fireplace.

Old 12-06-06, 07:07 AM
S
I'm pretty sure, when I replaced the old thermostat with a programmable model there was only two wires and when I switched it to the cooling setting nothing happened.

Might be worth having the utility company come out and determine if it can just blow air, but wouldn't this just cool the other rooms? My fireplace is not connected to the heat ducts.

Old 12-06-06, 07:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On my t-stat there is a switch for the fan - usually set on auto, if you switch it to 'on' the fan will run irregardless of whether or not the heat is running.

The idea of using a fan is to direct the hot living rm air towards the cooler parts of the house, circulating the air. If the air intake [fresh air return] is warm the furnace fan will circulate this warmer air thru all the heat vents.

Old 12-06-06, 01:29 PM
S
Ok. So if I understand you correctly the fresh air intake is in the floor (at the base of the wall between two rooms in my house) where I replace my filter?

This intake would then pull the warm air from the area where the fireplace is down through the ducts, redistributing warm air to the rest of of the house?

If I have this right I will definitely verify whether or not I can turn on the fan. because this would also help to circulate the stagnant air in the house (regardless of what season it is).

thanks.

Old 12-06-06, 02:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You understand correctly

Old 12-06-06, 05:23 PM
Wink

I'm pretty sure, when I replaced the old thermostat with a programmable model there was only two wires and when I switched it to the cooling setting nothing happened.

If I have this right I will definitely verify whether or not I can turn on the fan. because this would also help to circulate the stagnant air in the house (regardless of what season it is).

You have to pull another wire to the tstat here and check if you have a blower relay in the furnace. To make the blower run from the tstat