Wood to Gas Conversion

Old 12-10-06, 07:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood to Gas Conversion

I have a wood fireplace that has a gas start feature. My wife would like to convert it to a full gas fireplace, but I don't want to spend lots of $$$ to do it since we probably won't be living in this house too much longer and I don't think we'll use it that much since we live in a relatively temperate part of the country (Pacific Northwest).

What I'd like to do is buy a vented gas log set and hook it up to the existing gas line. I know the efficiency is going to be awful, but I don't want to spend the money for an insert. I was at a local fireplace shop yesterday and the clerk told me I can't do what I want to do. He even implied that it would be against building code, which I don't follow. If the fire box is in good shape (I'm planning to get new refractory panels) then I don't see why I can't burn gas instead of wood.

Am I missing something, or was the guy I talked to trying to sell me an insert?

Thanks for the assistance.

Brad

Old 12-11-06, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Brad, welcome to the forums. Did the guy at the store give you a reason why it was against some code? The vented gas logs will not be efficient, as will the unvented, but here, again, check with local authorities to see if you can install the unvented. I have them in my house and the heat factor is far superior to the vented models. I have the damper closed to within 1" to allow some venting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: