Dead trees ready to burn?

Old 01-18-07, 07:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead trees ready to burn?

Would a tree that has been dead for four years be ready to burn when cut down?

Old 01-18-07, 08:32 AM
D
Rotted wood

Depending on its condition and type, perhaps, however, from experience, if a tree has been dead that long, it may be rotting. For the most part, wood that is rotting does not burn well (I am not sure what sort of crud it can deposit in the chimney either).

Old 01-18-07, 10:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I burn dead wood from time to time. If the moisture content is high, it is best to let it dry some but it doesn't take a full season like fresh cut 'live' wood. You should deligently inspect for termites and other bugs - doesn't hurt to burn them, you just don't want that type of wood stacked up on your porch

My stove in the house generally has a slow fire and that chimney needs cleaning every month or so. My shop stove which almost always has a 'hot burn' barely needs cleaning once a year.

Old 01-18-07, 10:38 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Wood

What species is the tree?

Old 01-18-07, 03:02 PM
S
It's a pine tree, offered for free on Craigslist. I have plenty already seasoning for next year so I'm only going to pick this up if it could be burned this year.

Old 01-18-07, 03:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Pine isn't the best wood for heat. It has a higher cresote content than the hardwoods. I do burn a lot of pine in my shop stove but I believe that fact that I usually have a faster burn out there helps keep the chimney cleaner - pine should cause the chimney to need cleaning more often.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: