Mortar Patch.

Old 01-21-07, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Mortar Patch.

My four year old drilled a hole in the front of our rock fireplace with his lego shovel. It's in the mortar between the rock and about 1/2 inch in diameter. The house is about 6 years old. Is there an easy way to patch this or do I have to go buy a bag of mortar, mix it and then plug the hole? And what about matching the color, which may be the more important question? Any help much appreciated!

Old 01-21-07, 11:14 PM
S
As for matching the color that's really tough.You may come close but it's a random situation.Most mortar's color is based on where the sand came from.Only specialty mortars would have uniform color.If you knew what was originally used you might come close with the same brand etc.

Patching materials would be dependant on how hot this spot gets.If heat isn't a factor there are a whole range of possible products from small amounts of powdered patching cements and mortars to materials in caulking tubes.

If it does get hot you'd need either furnace cements (premixed in tube or container) or fire brick mortar.

If heat is not an issue real hardware stores carry all the patching choices.I know for a fact that Ace stores carry at least 6 different possible choices.Find qualified help there and discuss your project so they can help you make the best choice for your needs.

Big box stores will carry only the choices that sell in high volume and will have no good help to assist you.

If heat is an issue hardware stores will carry furnace cement in the tube or container.A building supply (again not a big box) would carry firebrick mortar.

Old 01-22-07, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info.. I guess I should have mentioned that it's not in a hot spot on the fireplace. It might get a little warm if I have a fire going for more than a day but that's rare here in Central Texas. So I'll head to Ace to see what they have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: