Damper Frozen

Old 01-31-07, 07:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damper Frozen

The previous owners had chimney guys install a new damper and chimney cap. The damper is near the top of the chimney. Now that it is finally cold in the northeast, I wanted to start a fire on a really cold night but the damper wont open. I know I tested this a few times successfully after we moved in. A day or two later (a little warmer day) after trying to start a fire, the damper opened. I have a feeling that there was moisture that fell down the chimney and sat on top of the damper. When it got really cold, the moisture froze which prevented me from opening the damper. Shouldn't the cap prevent moisture from falling into my chimney and possibly freezing my damper? Is my assumption correct or could it be something else? What could we do to prevent it from freezing if that is the problem? Is there such a thing as a damper cap?

Old 11-19-08, 07:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, a top sealing damper seems to be a good option here. It is basically a closable chimney cap operated by a cable thru the chimney itself. Seals tight to keep water (and everything else) out pretty good. I am looking into one now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: