Can firewood get too seasoned?

Old 04-11-07, 10:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can firewood get too seasoned?

Is it possible for firewood to get too seasoned? Or is it a case of the older, the better?

Old 04-12-07, 04:57 AM
T
Wood that's too dry - approaching 10% - releases its smoke too fast to burn properly in a controlled combustion appliance. Many report that it is fine for a fireplace, but it still burns too quickly. 15-20% moisture content is best. Wood cut and split in spring and stacked where it gets plenty of airflow is usually around 20% by fall is best. If you place wood that is too dry on a bed of coals, it will instantly give up its gases as smoke.

Old 04-12-07, 06:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Firewood is probably most efficent when 6-18 months seasoned. It will vary some by wood type and storage conditions. Wood that is stored longer is more apt to have bug infestation. Keeping the firewood in a dry location is always best although not always feasable.

Old 04-12-07, 07:25 AM
We call over-seasoned firewood greywood due to the color it can turn. That stuff is hard as a rock and has to be burned very hot or it just smolders.

We use wood that has been seasoned since the previous winter as kindling because it burns so fast, but all we have is pine. Hardwood may be different.

Old 04-12-07, 12:35 PM
S
Excellent information.!

I get my wood free from postings on Craigslist, often it has been stored for a long time. A recent post had wood that fit the description logcabincook provided. It looked greyish, almost an ash-like grey. Good thing I asked, there's was a lot of it!

Thanks for all the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: