Is anyone here? (Building codes and mantel placement)

Old 06-14-07, 02:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is anyone here? (Building codes and mantel placement)

I'm repairing a brick fireplace and was wondering about minimum clearances from the top of the opening to the bottom of the mantel. My local build dept. said I didn't need a permit, can you believe that?????jim

Old 06-14-07, 03:48 PM
J
When I first brought up the site no threads appeared, and didn't know if it was active. I see now that it is. What I have is a brick FP that was covered with stucco stone from floor to ceiling. I removed the stone, the brick that's there is only about 16" above the opening. There's a 2x4, running horzontal, behind the sheetrock about 6" above that. Thought I'd install an 8" mantel on this 2by and tile up to it covering the brick. Then I became concerned about clearances, thought I'd better check it out.....thx.

Old 06-14-07, 04:12 PM
T
If your local Building Code Office is uninformed, contact your State Building Code Office. I am sorry that you encountered an uninformed individual. Perhaps politics played a role in placement here. Bulding codes tend to vary from area to area and the State tends to rule, and the State can vary from the National and International codes. Contact your state office and inquire and report your consternation.

Old 06-14-07, 09:37 PM
In many states fire place codes are goverened by the State Fire Marshal. I would contact your local Fire Dept and see what they have to say. There is definetly a rule or code for this. Good Luck

Old 06-15-07, 06:49 AM
J
OK, thanks, will do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: