Gas Log Lighters for Wood Stove

Old 07-26-07, 08:44 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Log Lighters for Wood Stove

From what I been able to find out, gas log lighters are not designed for wood stoves or vice versa. So all I want to know is why?
Does a wood stove burn so hot that it would damage the gas pipe?
Should nothing penetrate the fire bricks, because I am thinking that once a pipe is brought in through the bottom, heat resident concrete can be used?

Looking for more reasons other than it is not done.

Thx

craig4248

Old 07-26-07, 09:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When natural gas or propane burns in an open air environment, it just burns. If it accumulates in a confined space and ignites, it explodes with a good deal of force.

Also, gas loglighters in a conventional fireplace have lots of air supplied to them, so the gas burns completely and reliably. Woodstoves are confined spaces with comustion air deliberately limited to improve efficiency. However, that can mean that inadequate combustion air is supplied to burn the gas completely, and that can result in soot being produced and LOTS of carbon monoxide.

For both of these reason, log lighters or gas log sets in wood stoves are definite non nos ---hazards.

Seattle Pioneer

Newly retired gas appliance repairman

Old 07-27-07, 07:04 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Log Lighters for Wood Stoves

Thanks, that is good to know. I'll have to look into varios other methods of fire starting, without having to build a fire from newspaper and kindling every night.

craig4248

Old 07-28-07, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I heat with wood using a wood stove. Personally, I don't find it burdensome to start a fire using two sheets of newspaper and some kindling, although I'm a firebug at heart.

Having dry wood is a key to easy fire starting. Finding a supply of old cedar shingles to use for kindling makes light work of that ---they can be found around here for no cost often enough.

Also, cutting 2x4s to a 12-14" length and then splitting them with an axe works well for kindling I find.

Seattle Pioneer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: